Gurnee, IL DUI Defense Attorney
Using drugs or alcohol before driving can put you at risk for a DUI. These substances can make concentrating, thinking clearly, and making good decisions difficult. As a result, you may be more likely to get into an accident or make poor driving choices. If you are pulled over and suspected of DUI, you will likely be asked to submit to a chemical test to determine your blood alcohol content (BAC). If your BAC is above the legal limit, you will be charged with DUI. However, everyone is innocent until proven guilty. An experienced DUI lawyer can investigate the nature of your stop, challenge your chemical test results, and help you fight for a dismissal or not guilty verdict.
At Jerald Novak & Associates, we are the area’s premier DUI defense law firm. Our experienced DUI lawyers have successfully defended hundreds of clients against DUI charges. We have a deep understanding of the details of DUI law and procedure, and we know how to challenge the prosecution’s case. We are committed to protecting your rights and fighting for the best possible outcome for your situation. Connect with us today to review the facts of your case and understand your legal options.
What Is a DUI in Gurnee, IL?
DUI stands for “driving under the influence.” DUI is a criminal offense when someone operates a vehicle while impaired by drugs or alcohol. In Gurnee, a person can be charged with DUI if their blood alcohol content (BAC) exceeds .08%. There is an even lower threshold for commercial drivers, who can be charged with DUI if their BAC is above .04%. These levels can be determined through a chemical test, such as a breathalyzer test or blood test. In some cases, a person’s BAC may be below the legal limit, but they can still be charged with DUI if their driving ability is impaired by drugs or alcohol. With so much subjectivity and room for error in these procedures, a keen DUI defense lawyer can investigate the circumstances of your case and challenge your charge.
What Defenses Could Be Used in My DUI Case?
Many possible defenses could be used in your DUI case. Some common defenses include:
- The stop was illegal: If the police did not have a valid reason to pull you over, any evidence obtained during the visit might be inadmissible in court. This could lead to the dismissal of your case. Police officers do not have the right to pull over a vehicle without a reasonable suspicion that a crime has been committed, so leaning into this defense could be very helpful for your case.
- The chemical test was inaccurate: Chemical tests are not accurate every time, and there are several ways that they can produce incorrect results. From improper calibration of the breathalyzer machine to simple user error, these scenarios could unjustly lead to a DUI charge. If we can show that the test was inaccurate, your charge may be dropped.
- Mistaken identity: In some cases, a person may be wrongfully accused of DUI because they resemble the actual perpetrator. In rare but valid circumstances, an arresting officer may have confused one driver for another. This happens when there are multiple people in a car or when the arresting officer did not get a good look at the driver. If we can show that you were not the person driving the vehicle, this opens a large possibility that your charges will be reversed.
- You were not allowed to contact an attorney: In Gurnee, you have the right to contact an attorney after you have been arrested for DUI. If the police did not allow you to do so, this could violate your rights. This is an important defense to use in your case, as it could lead to the dismissal of all charges.
These are just some possible defenses that could be used in your DUI case. An experienced DUI lawyer will be able to investigate the facts of your case and determine which defenses will be most effective.
What Evidence Supports a DUI Criminal Defense Case in Gurnee, IL?
To successfully challenge a DUI charge, we must collect and review evidence supporting your innocence. Some of the evidence that could be used in your case includes:
- The arresting officer’s report: The arresting officer will write a report detailing the events that led to your arrest. This report will include the officer’s observations, field sobriety or chemical test results, and other important information. We will carefully review this report to look for any inaccuracies or inconsistencies that could be used to your advantage. Sometimes it is clear that an officer made a mistake.
- The police dashcam footage: In some cases, there may be dashcam footage of your arrest. This footage can be beneficial in building your case, as it provides an unbiased account of the events leading up to your arrest. We will review this footage to look for any evidence that could be used in your defense.
- The results of the chemical test: If you submit to a chemical test, the results of this test will play a prominent role in your case. We will review your test results to look for any inaccuracies or errors. Sometimes, the machine used to test your blood alcohol level may not have been properly calibrated. In other cases, the officer who administered the test may have made a mistake. If we show that the results of your test are not accurate, this could help get your charges reduced or dropped.
- Witness statements: In some cases, there may be witnesses who saw the events leading up to your arrest. These witnesses can provide valuable information that could be helpful in your defense. We will interview any witnesses who are willing to come forward and provide a statement.
Contact Our Gurnee DUI Lawyers Today
If you have been charged with a DUI, it is vital to contact an experienced criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. At Jerald Novak & Associates, we have successfully defended many clients against DUI charges. We know what it takes to win these cases, and we will fight tirelessly to protect your rights. Contact our office today to schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys and get started on your case.
Jerald Novak Law Firm, provides a Free initial consultation at our DUI & Criminal Defense firm. Call (847) 223-2285 to learn how our DUI & Criminal Defense attorney Jerald Novak, can help you! Call now!